Do positive affirmations work for constructive change in your life? Yes, thanks to our subconscious minds!
The subconscious mind plays a powerful role in how we actualize our lives. As a matter of fact, it is responsible for 90% of our daily living – beyond our conscious awareness. That means if we want to change our lives in a positive way, we must change our beliefs, behaviors and attitudes in the subconscious.
The subconscious does not edit or filter, but simply acts on our statements – responding to messages that we send ourselves in both positive and negative ways. Therefore, it is important that we feed ourselves positive thoughts. This is where positive affirmations come in.
I AM Affirmations are uniquely powerful statements, especially when accompanied by the feeling of the words. The I AM comes from “I AM THAT I AM,” the name God revealed to Moses when he said, “This is My name forever, and this is My memorial unto all generations (Exodus 4:13). We were created in the likeness of the I AM (Genesis 1:27). The I AM is the God-like nature that exists in us. Whenever we say, “I AM…”, we are summoning God’s power within us to bring about change. Whether we say “I AM sick,” “I AM tired,” “I AM having a great day,” or “I AM healthy,” we are calling up the God-like nature within to create our life experiences.
Thinking negatively about ourselves leads to self-defeating behaviors, increased stress, drama in our relationships and an elevation in stress hormones that cause inflammation and physical illness. When we think positive thoughts about ourselves, we feel better and have a more positive attitude.
Thinking positively about ourselves can attract positive things into our lives like love, health and even financial abundance. As the saying goes, “What we focus on grows!”
There’s a lot more to affirmations than just occasionally saying some positive statements. Here are a few tips that will produce faster and greater results:
1. Give your I AM affirmations some emotional energy. Instead of saying, “I AM only going to eat healthy foods today,” say, “I AM happier and more energetic when eating healthy foods.” The subconscious responds to the feelings of our words. The words by themselves are much less impactful than when they are combined with an emotion.
2. Visualize or imagine your affirmations. Using visualization or your imagination is a great way to get your message across to your subconscious mind about what you want. If you’re house-hunting, visualize the house of your dreams, whether a chalet upon a mountain top or a cozy cabin in the forest. Make it real in your mind, adding lots of details using all your senses – sight, sound, touch, taste and smell. The stronger you imagine your dream, the better your subconscious will respond.
3. Use I AM affirmations in meditation. I AM has been used as a mantra during meditation since ancient times to connect with a Higher Power – to experience oneness with the Creator of All. Simply saying “I AM” repeatedly out loud in a quiet setting creates more inner peace and wellness. Adding deep breathes, which have many mental and physical benefits, will enhance your affirmations. Inhale on the I AM and exhale on your desire, e.g. I AM… at Peace. You’ll be amazed how calming and centering this is!
4. Post your affirmations around your home where you will see them. Read and say them out loud often. Continue to give them a positive vibe that will positively change your subconscious mind.
5. Ground your positive affirmations in reality by taking some action. If you want to be more fit, say your affirmations as you walk or drive to the gym for a work-out. If it’s more confidence you want, step out of your comfort zone and do something new – courage promotes more confidence.
I AM Good Enough, I AM Safe, I AM Perfect Health, I AM Love, I AM Joy, I AM Limitless, I AM Peace…
The above are a few positive I AM affirmations from my “Soul’s Journey to Self Love” eBook , chock full of affirmations, meditation, nature scenes, meditative music and so much more.
It’s okay if you do not believe the statements … yet! With enough repetition – you will. Affirmations are a lot like planting seeds that grow into plants that eventually produce a wonderful harvest.
Ultimately, “I AM…” affirmations are a deeply personal way for you to connect with all of your strengths and possibilities. If nothing else, they help you feel great. Because YOU ARE.